*2020 Dates and Locations TBA*
In Summer 2019, WGI launched a new educational performance opportunity for marching arts performers of all ages—WGI Solo & Ensemble powered by System Blue.
Positioned in WGI’s typical off-season—and before the start of summer band—WGI Solo & Ensemble offers a venue for performers of all ages to showcase their skills as an individual or small ensemble. Unique in its format, WGI Solo & Ensemble will welcome any and all performers, including those not currently or previously affiliated with a WGI-performing group.
Split between two age classifications and four performance categories, performers will present a short piece in front of a judge to receive personalized, recorded commentary and an overall rating. Although performers/ensembles will be split between two distinct age groups, there will be no age limit in any performance category. Performance categories include Color Guard, Percussion, Winds—Woodwind, and Winds—Brass.
June 1, 2019: Dayton Solo & Ensemble
- Fairfield High School (Fairfield, OH)
- Dayton Judges – Percussion: Tim Fairbanks/
Winds: Wayne Markworth/ Color Guard: Dale White
- Dayton Results
- Event Recap
June 8, 2019: Dallas Solo & Ensemble
- Junior Class: 17 years of age and under
- Senior Class: 18 years of age and above*
*Senior Class participants are not bound by any age limit.
- Color Guard: Flag, Rifle, Sabre, and Movement
- Percussion: Snare Drum, Multi-Tenor Drum, Keyboard, Timpani, and Multi-Percussion*
- Winds – Woodwind: Flute/Piccolo, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, and Saxophone
- Winds – Brass: Trumpet, French Horn/Mellophone, Baritone/Euphonium, Trombone, and Tuba
*any number of percussion instruments played by a solo performer, including a drum set
color guard ensemble categories
- Mixed: any authorized equipment
instrumental ensemble categories
- Mixed: any instrumentation